Alternative Schools and GED Programs

  1. What are Transfer Schools and District 79?

    The Department of Education (DOE) offers a variety of options for students who have not succeeded in traditional high school environments through Transfer Schools and District 79 Programs. Students who may benefit from these programs include those who:
    • are overage and under-credited
    • need intensive programming in order to catch up on credits
    • have dropped out of school and want to re-enroll
    • want to learn about vocational and career options
    • want to pursue a High School Equivalency Degree
    • need to attend an evening program because of work or other obligations
    In order to access these programs, students should speak to the guidance counselor at their current school. Review the Transfer School directory or go to one of the District 79 Referral Centers.

  2. What are Transfer High Schools?

    Transfer High Schools are small, academically focused schools. They are designed to re-engage students who have dropped out or are overage and under-credited for their grade. The goal of a Transfer High School is to provide students with a high school diploma. Each Transfer High School has its own admission criteria, and most have an age and credit requirement. Click here for a list of transfer schools and their admissions criteria. Students should contact the school in which they are interested directly for information about the school’s admissions process.

  3. What is a Young Adult Borough Center?

    Young Adult Borough Centers (YABCs) are evening academic programs. They are designed for students who have adult responsibilities that prevent them from attending school during the day. Students must be at least 17.5 years old and must have been on the roster of a high school for four or more years. Applicants must have at least 17 credits. Click here for a list of Young Adult Borough Centers.

  4. What are HSE Programs?

    The DOE’s Pathways to Graduation program currently provides free, full-time and part-time High School Equivalency (HSE) programs to help students prepare for the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) exam. HSE programs accept students who are 18-20 years old and still eligible to attend high school. Students who are 17 may enroll full-time if there are extenuating circumstances and with parent/guardian permission.

  5. What is a Learning to Work Program?

    Learning to Work is a program that offers career exploration and job training at some Young Adult Borough Centers, transfer high schools, and GED programs. Click here for more information.

  6. What is Co-Op Tech?

    Co-Op Tech (School of Cooperative Technical Education) offers half-day career and technical training for students who are already taking courses at another NYC Department of Education school or program. Co-Op Tech offers 16 different courses encompassing the building trades, information technology, health careers and service industries. To be eligible, students must be between the ages of 16-21, have a high school diploma or be enrolled in a school or HSE program, and have a signed application by their high school counselor. For more information go to

  7. What is Re-Start?

    Re-Start provides educational services for students who are over-age and under-credited, in drug treatment programs, or in other involuntary and/or temporary settings. Some Re-Start sites serve middle school students, while others serve high school students. Some Re-Start programs are embedded in host facilities and the host facility determines individual eligibility. A full list of Re-Start sites is available here.

  8. What is the Living for the Young Family Through Education (LYFE) Program?

    LYFE programs provide childcare and referral services for pregnant and parenting students who are enrolled in a NYC DOE school. Childcare is provided for children between the ages of 8 weeks and 3 years. Social Workers are assigned to each of the 36 LYFE centers to provide social and emotional support. Students do not need to attend a school housing a LYFE center to be able to utilize the services available. To access the LYFE program directory click here and click on the appropriate link or go to the LYFE website.