What is a "youthful offender"?

If you were found guilty in adult court of committing your first crime when you were less than 19 years old, in some cases, the judge will give you youthful offender treatment. In felony (serious) cases, the judge does not have to give this to you and your lawyer will need to convince the prosecutor and judge that you deserve it. If the judge thinks you should be considered a youthful offender, then you will not have a criminal conviction or record from that case and the record will be sealed. The judge can also give you a probation sentence when you might otherwise have to get prison time.