I am going to be 18 next month, and my caseworker’s been pressuring me to sign myself out of care because I dropped out of school and haven’t gotten into a GED program yet. I do want to get a GED, but I don’t know where to sign up, and I’m scared top leave care without a place to live. What should I do?

You do not have to leave care because you are not in a GED program yet, and you should not sign any papers or take any other steps toward leaving care. It is very important that you call your law guardian to let her know that you are being pressured so that she can take action in court if your caseworker keeps doing it.

Although your caseworker has a duty to help you locate and enroll in a GED program, your law guardian will also be able to help you find a GED program.